Connected World Post #2

I am back to post about my region. This week I have chosen a new blogger to follow, his name is Onnik Krikorianhe posts many things about Azerbaijan and that is one of the countries in my region (a link to the post). He is a journalist and photojournalist of Armenian and English descent who has been resident in the Republic of Armenia since 1998.

In Azerbaijan they celebrate a holiday called Novruz. It is holiday to celebrate the arrival of spring. It is believed to be Zoroastrian holiday. Novruzis now one of the most anticipated holidays to be openly marked in Azerbaijan. Also observed in Afghanistan and Iran as well as by the Kurds in Turkey. the fact that Novruz transcends nationalities, cultures and religions is most remarkable. The fact that Shia Islam had adopted, nurtured and saved this great day, with all its traditions intact is most amazing. While Christianity had changed pagan holidays and made them their own,  Islam could not and would not do that. In Azerbaijan, a country with a Shiite Muslim majority population, nine days holiday were declared instead of the normal five. Zehra’s Daily yesterday explained the origins and significance of Novruz.

I would have loved to be there and celebrate with the people of Azerbaijan because it sounds like a very colorful and festive holiday. I think that because it’s the start of spring. This blogger is much better than the other one because he writes wat he thinks and quotes things from other things he has read about it. he also links to the places where he found his infromation. His writing iss clear enough for me to understand.

This time the my internet did not work on saturday so I was very frustrated. Fortunatly my father fixed it over night and I got to go on it in the morning. The internet was not fast but not slow so it was easy to use. I enjoyed reading the blog because it was not about the unhappy bad things that are happening it was about happiness and celebrating I hope to find many more posts like this one. I did not use my iGoogle at all this time because usually all the links are about other regions and countries and never mine so I just took a faster way and went straight onto Global Voices. Until next time!

This Picture is Shekerbura which is a traditional Novruz sweet pastry, if you want to know how to cook it go to Farida’s Azerbaijani Cookbook.

Shekerbura

One thought on “Connected World Post #2

1. Hi Yasmin,

Thanks very much for the post and the link. As you say, Global Voices Online exists to put together posts like this on a subject so that people can read what other bloggers are saying.

As an Editor I have to put it into some kind of shape.

Meanwhile, if you’re interested, there are also blogs being rounded up from Georgia and Armenia as well as Central Asia in the relevant section of Global Voices.

http://globalvoicesonline.org/-/world/central-asia-caucasus/

There is also an Azerbaijani author, Ali S. Novruzov, who not only puts posts together but also translates from Azeri to English.

http://globalvoicesonline.org/author/ali-s-novruzov/

Cheers,
    Onnik